The College of Engineering recommends the 13" MacBook Pro Package.
The College of Engineering recommends our 13" MacBook Pro as a configuration that will accommodate most of the needs of an engineering student throughout a four-year degree plan while balancing performance, cost, and expected life of the device. Our package provides you a powerful long-lasting laptop, ethernet adapter, pre-installed software, four year's of Hardware & Accidental protection plan, and six months of Theft Protection* -all at a discounted price. Upgrade packages are also available.
13" MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt 3
With the advanced Thunderbolt 3 ports, the 13” MacBook Pro is fully equipped to handle the day to day rigors of college. Students will greatly appreciate the outstanding power in a laptop that is now remarkably thinner and lighter. With 130% faster graphics and a 67% brighter display, everyday activities like browsing the web or creating a document will be better than ever. Available in Space Gray or Silver, the basic recommended configuration for Engineering students has a 2.0 GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor, 8GB RAM, 256GB PCle-based SSD, Intel Iris Graphics 540, and two Thunderbolt 3 ports. If you prefer the revolutionary Touch Bar, need more power, storage space, or faster graphics, you may look into upgrading to the higher-end 13" or 15" models. See below for more details.
13” MacBook Pro with Engineering Package ..................... $1,759
Included in this package:
13” MacBook Pro Non-Touch Bar:
- 2.0GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
- Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
- 8GB 1866MHz memory
- 256GB PCIe-based SSD
- Intel Iris Graphics 550
- Built-in battery (10 hours)
Engineering Package Includes:
- Gigabit Ethernet Adapter: A necessary adapter in order to have a more constant and fast internet connection, which also allows for the environment needed to run some engineering programs.
- Safeware Protection Plan - 4 years for Computers less than $1999: The Safeware Protection Plan is a hardware warranty that includes accidental damage protection to cover drops, liquid damage, and more. With no expensive deductibles or delays in repairs, it’s the reassurance you need when investing in a new computer. Now includes six months of Theft Protection!*
- Your new Mac will be ready to use out of the box, it will have both MacOS and Windows 10 installed. The Windows 10 partition will include engineering programs that are required such as LabView, MatLab, & SolidWorks.*
Package Education price: $1759.00
(Package Retail price: $1,826)
***Please note, these computers are not pre-installed with all Engineering software. The Engineering website states: "Instructions on downloading the required software will be provided upon the start of classes." Software is discounted for students through the University directly and students should wait until further instruction on purchasing any additional software.***
*SafeWare Theft Protection only available when registered within the first 30-days. Safeware is an insurance that covers up-to the price of the device it insures. Windows 10 & engineering programs will require activation. For activation go to software.tamu.edu. Computer packaging will be opened, due to pre-installing programs.
*All MacBook Pros with Thunderbolt 3 and/or Touch Bar are available in Space Gray and Silver.